6.24.2007

RISKY BUSINESS


We have reached a whole new "realm" of baby proofing. I used to be able to put things on the table... not anymore. This week Luke figured out how to climb on to the table where he likes to attack the butter dish and bang on the laptop. This is a picture I took a couple of days ago when it still seemed funny. It is no longer funny. Suddenly living in an empty house with padded walls and floors doesn't seem all that bad.

Here's another favorite past time. He tears all the cushions off the couch, climbs to the edge and tries to open the door. Once again, I'm not laughing anymore. This wouldn't give me a heart attack if we didn't have "baby killer" tile on the floor. I keep having these nightmares of him falling off the table or couch and cracking his head open on the floor.

When we were naming Luke, my mother told me to "practice" a potential name by yelling it out the window as loudly as possible for 5 minutes straight. If you still liked that name after yelling it, then it was a keeper. That seems so prophetic now. I feel like a big meanie because all I do is say, "Luke. Luke! LUKE! No, Luke. No!" I know he understands, yet he still looks at me defiantly and does it over and over again. How do you teach a 12 month old to obey?

10 comments:

  1. Good luck with that! I'm sure it's only because I don't have my own children, but there is something adorable about their defiant little faces. Yes, I realize what I just said and what that will mean in my future. I'm in for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any advice, seeing as how I don't have children, but I do like the advice of picking a baby name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you spank 'em.

    JUST KIDDING for all you pitch fork and torch-toting mob potentials .

    ReplyDelete
  4. mom said the same thing to me when I wanted to name Stewart, Mr. Chocolate. Get a leash for luke! wow, this is making me nervous to have a little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you should just put him in a snow suit that's extra fluffy. Then he can fall off of things and run into walls, and no harm done. Actually, once we get our camera from Lar's work we're gonna take a picture of Leyna and her latest acquirement...a big ol bruise on her head- the first one, but you'll see the story for yourself later...

    ReplyDelete
  7. (Cristin's mom) I don't know if I'm more worried that Luke will be at my home (in a few days) with you, or that I will be at your home (in a few weeks) without you. Actually, you didn't tell the whole reason for yelling the child's potential name out the window. If you can shout that name through-out the whole neighborhood (i.e. "Luke, it's time to come home!") without feeling embarassed or sounding silly, then the name is probably okay. Of course, you should still get prior approval and advice from your child's grandmother:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh. That is crazy! I can't believe he is opening up the doors like that! How about you start teaching him the meaning of "time out". I'm sure if he can understand the concept of the door lock than he can understand the concept of being punished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. :), that's pretty funny! We have a little stool that we keep in the bathroom so that the kids can wash their hands....Charles likes to take the stool around the house and do things like turn lights on and off, get remote controls and other things that we've intentionally put up in a high spot so he couldn't get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good question. I'm still trying to figure out how to get an almost-5-year-old and almost-3-year-old to listen. Thank goodness I have a 4-month-old who can't do anything yet without my approval.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails