6.30.2007

OUR VEGETABLE OIL CAR



We won this a 1990 Mercedes Turbo Diesel with 120,000 miles on Ebay earlier this week and finally picked it up on Thurday evening in Ventura. When I told everyone at our Young Women's camp preparation activity on Wednesday that we won a car on Ebay that we plan on eventually converting to running on waste vegetable oil, they laughed hysterically. I was a little irked because everyone started teasing me so badly. The girls called me "Sister Crisco" and said they were going to find our car and paint it to look like a "hippie-mobile." The leaders said they would call me when they used their deep fryers. Yes, it's different, but I don't think it's that funny. I told them, "You may think its funny now, but when I save thousands of dollars from not buying gas, who'll be laughing then, huh?" This is taking being cheap to a whole new level.

This was the second car we have purchased on Ebay. Unfortunately, the transaction didn't run as smoothly as when we got the Explorer. When we went to pay for the car, we discovered that everything worked well, except for the air conditioning. Since the seller didn't represent this in his listing, we talked him down $1,000, which meant we got the car for $4,600. Other than that though, it's nice for a 17 year old "old lady" car. Once we get the air conditioning repaired it will be lovely.

12 comments:

  1. I think that's cool, Sis. Crisco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, "I'll call you when I deep fry"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is the smartest thing that people are beginning to do. Lets put that crap in our cars, rather than in our own bodies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so funny, you'll be laughing to the bank.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahah! Sister Crisco. Well you'll have to keep me updated on how the car is working. .if it ever does. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may sound a little naive, but where do you find that much vegetable oil to run your car? Will you actually go out to restaurants and ask people, or will you just buy jugs at the supermarket? I'm really not making fun -- I really don't know. I'm interested in learning about it all, even if I do think Sis. Crisco is a little funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LeMira - To answer your question, you can ask for waste vegetable oil from restaurants (I hear chinese ones are the best, but fast food probably work well also). Also, we figured out that wholesale vegetable oil is cheaper than gasoline right now - at least in California.

    It's okay to laugh. I told Erik this is fine, I just don't want to be begging restaurants for their old oil - so he agreed to do that part, and most restaurants are happy to have someone "dispose" of their old oil for them.

    He found a website yesterday with pictures of Mandy Moore and the Governator driving around their vegetable oil cars, so it must be the cool thing to do right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spencer and I fully support your idea and dont think it is cheap!!! Spencer's new work truck is a desiel for this very same reason. You will have to let us know when you do the conversion, Spencer would love to see how it turns out! ~Heather and Spencer Talley

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Cristin. We really are looking into ways to saving gas money as well. Matt doesn't know nearly as much as Erik does to convert our engine, but we're at least looking at more fuel-efficient cars for our next one. I'd love to hear how this car turns out, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think its a great idea although I have heard that you end up smelling like french fries whenever you drive it. People might think that you have become addicted to eating fast food. But that's a small price to pay.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails