6.09.2007

MOVIE MUSICALS

I love musicals. This is probably attributed to the fact that in high school I could never get a part in any of the musicals because I can't sing or dance. So instead, I had to be one of those geeks that wore all black and moved the scenery off and on the stage. When I found out that Erik was Conrad Birdie and Curly (from Oklahoma) in his high school musicals, I just about died. It was like my childhood fantasy to marry a musical singing star. Some of my favorites are Fiddler on the Roof, My Fair Lady, West Side Story, Dreamgirls, Phantom of the Opera, The King and I, and The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.

In my opinion, here are some of the worst, the cheesiest, and the best movie musicals of ALL TIME:

THE WORST

Paint Your Wagon (1969): Clint Eastwood picks up a polygamist's wife while pioneering into the west. They drink, gamble, fight, and of course, sing. I was in pain. Make it stop. I can't say much more because I have tried to block the whole thing out.


Chicago (2002): This won Best Picture, but I was really disappointed. Yeah, Catherine Zeta-Jones is talented, but maybe she could just do a concert dvd and I could watch that instead of Richard Gere trying to tap dance. My favorite part was when we left the movie theatre and my sister, Caitlin, said, "I feel like I have just been in hell for the past two hours." I couldn't agree with her more.

CHEESY FUN


Saturday's Warrior (1989): My parents own "Saturday's Warrior: The Millennium Version" which consists of the cast reminiscing 11 years later, a documentary about the making of, and wait - it gets better -
sing-a-long karaoke versions of eight songs. The last time I was at my parents' house I put in the DVD and sang gleefully off-key at the top of my lungs to each song until my Mom told me to stop. I love how the bad people wear spandex (of course) and Jimmy has fluorescent bathing suit shorts on the whole time. Classic stuff. The girl in the wheelchair always reminds me of my sister-in-law, Kirsten.


Back to the Beach (1987): If you like Beach Blanket Bingo or Gidget than you will love Back to the Beach. Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello reunite, Becky from Full House plays their daughter, and Pee Wee Herman sings a special musical number! The bird is the word.

THE BEST


Moulin Rouge (2001): I advised our friend Jake to break up with a girl if she didn't like this movie and he actually did. I've lightened up a bit on that type of dating advice, but still feel like this is one of the best movie musicals ever. I will never forget watching this for the first time, looking at my sister, Kelley, during Ewan McGregor singing "Your Song" and saying to each other, "Wow, this is really good." If I'm sad, I just pop in a little Moulin Rouge soundtrack and always feel better.


Sound of Music (1965): In high school I had friends who tried to memorize The Princess Bride. Well, I tried to do that with this movie. I have watched it at least 500 times - no joke. I don't know what it is. As a little girl, I dreamt about being in the Von Trapp Family. I own a trivia book about the Sound of Music where I read that Liesel never made anymore movies, moved to Encino and became an interior decorator. I've even read Maria Von Trapp's Autobiography. Good stuff.

7 comments:

  1. Back to the Beach is such a classic! On youtube I have scenes from Moulin Rouge saved as my favorites. Vak had never seen the Sound of Music before so I rented it for him and told him there were Natzis in it and as soon as they started singing... well lets just say by the time they were singing, "my favorite things"- he began to make a play gun with his hand and went on to prentend to shoot the t.v. (I even fastforwarded the beginning on the mountain and part where nun sings).. same reaction he had during dreamgirls when Jennifer Hudson sang. I got him to agree to watch that one by telling him the movie had Jamie Fox and Eddie murphey in it. But Vak actually does like Moulin Rouge and to me thats all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hold the phone. you mean to tell me Sound of Music is based on a true story!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sound of Music...my favorite is when the dad sings "Edelweiss", I just love the melody, so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Worst? Has anyone heard of From Justin to Kelly a.k.a. AT&T Texting Info-mercial. Or how about the all time favorite Crossroads. That does qualify as a musical right? Britney sings in it. I personally know that Cristin has seen both these movies. Perhaps she is too embarassed to admit she has seen them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candace - It's funny you mention from Justin to Kelly because I was watching American Idol Rewind tonight thinking about how awesome that movie was. Seriously though, that was like a tv - no cable access - movie on the big screen. So embarassingly awful. I know for a fact that you've seen it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't BELIEVE you put Back to the Beach on your WORST list...that has been a family favorite for years. all of my siblings can pretty much quote the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cristin,
    You are hilarious. I remember discussing Moulin Rouge years ago when we were VT partners. You said that there are people that like Moulin Rouge and people that don't. We're ones that do! I also like Ewan ! Musicals are the best.
    That's crazy that Eric was in Bye Birdie and Oklahoma. I didn't know he was the singing type.
    Sorry I haven't posted before. I didn't know it was so easy. I thought I had to do a lot to be able to post.
    I guess I need to see this Back to the Beach to form my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails