6.11.2007

FEELING LIKE A FREAK

Why does it seem like teething only affects Luke at night? These past few days have been really tiring for Erik and I. Luke is cutting what appear to be six teeth (including his molars). Last night as I was trying to rock him to calm him down, he jumped off my lap, ran out his bedroom door waving his hands over his head and screaming (just like Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone)! The only thing that seems to console him (besides Baby Orajel) is to nurse. He is in so much pain that he would nurse all night and all day if I would let him.

So, here I am admitting that I feel like a huge freak. Luke will be one year old this Saturday. I keep comparing myself to other mothers who tell me they are only nursing their almost one year old 2 or 3 times a day. I always say, "Oh wow, twice a day, that's great!" But, I don't know why I respond like that. Probably because that's how everyone else responds. Even before Luke started this insane teething, I couldn't tell you how much he nurses because I don't count it or schedule it. I keep thinking he should cut back since he's eating solids, but that hasn't happened yet.

As much as we hear not to compare ourselves to others, I have started doing it like crazy. I think about weaning all the time. I obsess over it. I have even started counting how many times I nurse him in a day and feel guilty when its more than five. Isn't this crazy?


I am reading this book, "How Weaning Happens." It offers good suggestions and I am trying the "Don't offer, don't refuse" and distraction techniques to at least get Luke to cut back. It seems to be working, but honestly how does one schedule nursing when a baby's needs can differ so much from day to day? I always thought I would wean my child at one year because that's what people I knew typically did, but the more I read the more I learn about the benefits of "extended breastfeeding." Did you know that most doctors recommend nursing until your child is at least two? And, no, your milk doesn't go bad when your child is a year old. (My sister Kaci asked me that the other day. That's crazy talk.)

So... I feel like a freak. Partly because I am exhausted, and partly because I don't know anyone else who is nursing their one year old as much as I am (with the exception of the La Leche League, of course). The moral of the story is I probably just need to get out more and make new friends. (Than I can compare myself to those women too!)

6 comments:

  1. Quit comparing yourself to other women (I say it as much to myself as to you Cristin).

    Every baby is different and you're doing a great job responding to Luke's cues.

    I'm one of "those" women who only nurse 2-3 times a day, but now I have a son that didn't grow between his 6 and 9 month visits. Now I feel all guilty like I should nurse more. Too bad when I try Owen pushes it away or tries to bite me. He'll just have to live with his beetle juice head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only feed Lizette 5 times a day. Now I am thinking am I not feeding her enough. But she is a big baby so everthing is alright, RIGHT?? I have no idea what I am doing. Don't feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ethan was really hard to ween...he was 14 months old (It took 3 weeks) and I broke all the rules and weened him to a bottle. Two months later we broke that to sippy cups. Curtis weened at 11 months in 2 days. Every kid is different...every mom is different. Whatever works for Luke and helps you get rest is the right thing to do. Just don't nurse him until he is 6 years old -then we can call you a freak! P.S. Motrin works better than Tylenol on teething.
    Les

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since we didn't know if Kyle had a milk allergy I was worried about weaning him to milk you buy.
    So I was a freak and went to 18 months. He would eat at night and in the morning by then. I did feel a little strange at church in the mother's room when I was feeding a baby over a year during the day!
    But do what you need to. Weaning isn't easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so I saw you blog on Chloe's blog and well here I am.(shannon danklef) Sounds like you are ready to wean! When I started thinking/obsessing about it, I figured it was time and it was. When Oliver was 8 months (now 10)I weaned him because frankly I felt like I was wrestling him down to feed him except at night. So after snacking all day and then chowing at night I figured it wasn't the way it was suppose to go. It took a few weeks- I started the bottle in the day and nursed at night, then slowly gave the bottle at night and after about a week, one night I tried to nurse him and he wouldn't, just wanted the bottle. At first I felt guilty, then soon after sheer LIBERATION!!! I guess you just have to do what's right for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think you're a freak. Some of our liberal/earthy cousins nursed longer than that- I don't know how long but they were definetly toddlers. As long as he is potty trained by the time he is 5, you are not a freak. (I know some folks who had serious serious issues with that.)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails