5.24.2007

WORKING

I realized today that I stopped working full-time a little over a year ago. Wow, and what a relaxing and uneventful year it has been... vacation after vacation and sleeping in every morning! (I'm being sarcastic, if you can't tell.) As we all know, being a mother is hard work. I have no clue how people have babies and go back to work so quickly. How would you function in the "real world" on such little sleep? My ability to have a normal conversation with anyone has definitely declined since Luke was born.

50 Jobs Worse Than Yours by Justin Racz is a really funny little book. I worked once with a courier who was always complaining about how awful his job was, (whew, sure is hard driving around town, then getting paid to sit in the break room eating candy and drinking soda on your down time). I threatened to buy him this book on numerous occasions. Some of the bad jobs listed in the book are:

- Sadaam Hussein Double
- The "Before" Guy in the "Before and After" Advertisements
- Rat Collector
- Sherpas (this was #1 because they have a 20% chance of dying on each trip)

Whenever I feel lonely or I'm tired of pulling Luke out of the toilet/trash/ant traps/house plants, I think of my worst jobs ever and I feel so much better about being a stay-at-home mom. Here is my motivation:

- Fishing old hamburgers out of the boys underwear section in Wal-Mart
- Cleaning the MTC bathrooms (oh wait, that was service as a missionary... oh well, it still counts)

6 comments:

  1. Why don't you add "telemarketer" at the top of that list. I did it for a week and then quit. Of course sucking spit out of someone's mouth and cleaning up vomit because they don't like the taste of some kind of dental material are just a few perks I had as a dental assistant, not to mention sticking my nose near someone we can "muck mouth". I can't wait to be a mom. LOL it sounds much more glamorous

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had some "okay" jobs... but the boss have made it feel like THEE WORST JOB EVER. Thats when you need to play Justin Timberlake's song, "what goes around comes back around". or Bon Jovi's "have a nice day"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...courier, courier, who could that be? If Dave complained I never heard him - did that kid ever stop smiling? Oh yeah, what's a sherpa anyways?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about 32 years working in a box factory. They don't get much better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww good ol' Dave. He needed to be a telemarketer for a day and have people call him really bad names...It was fun :) To this day I am still really nice to telemarketers - I very nicely hang up on them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails