5.22.2007

PARANOIA

UPDATE ON THE CRIB ESCAPING SITUATION: I have implemented lots of changes. One of which is not putting him in bed with us. (Sorry Mom and Dad.) Ironically enough, I attended a La Leche League meeting yesterday morning where everyone raved about co-sleeping. Before I had Luke I thought I would love having him in bed with us, but the reality of it was not as "rosy." When I try to sleep with him, he jumps on our faces, pulls our hair, wants to nurse every 45 minutes - no one sleeps and it is not fun. Kudos to co-sleepers - I have lots of respect for you, I just have never been able to have a good night's rest when Luke is in bed with us.

New Changes:
1. I lowered the crib mattress about 2 more inches (the lowest setting).
2. Removed the bumper and any extra blankets. He will now sleep with one blanket only. (I figured out that he bunched up the blankets with the bumper to create some sort of step to climb out.)
3. Placed pillows below the crib on the floor (just in case ).
4. Put up a gate in the hallway blocking off the rest of the house. So if he does escape, he can only go into our bedroom. (It just dawned on me that he can probably climb over that gate too! AGH!)

It's a scary realization that I may not be able to contain Luke in this "little box" for much longer. I just feel like he's too young for a toddler bed. (He's not even a year yet.) How do people keep their toddlers from roaming the house at night? When I asked my mom this she said, "It's difficult. You used to wake up in the middle of the night and we always found you watching Johnny Carson in the living room."

12 comments:

  1. Now I know why you enjoy watching TV. You started at a very young age. Love Gramps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vak had an idea to let him sleep on a blanket on the floor like in his play room. Can he climb out of his pack n play?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luke, you little Houdini. Hayden would only sleep in our bed as a baby. Owen has never slept in our bed - he hates it. I prefer Owen's sleeping style - dump him in the crib with his mam and blanky, turn on 6 minutes of night-time music on baby tad, and he's asleep before the 6 minutes is up...then he sleeps all night. We never had to cry-it-out either :). Hayden NEVER slept through the night until well past age one - I blame co-sleeping. It's great for snuggles, but sometimes not so great for sleep...you have to do what works for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you stalk me. Your blog has been officially added to my list of favorite reads. Thanks for the note.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've gone in to get Macie and seen her standing on her tip toes on her bumper, looking innocent of course. I know the thought of escaping has crossed her mind. When toddlers want to do something there's no stopping them unless you take away the ability to do it. Can he climb out on the lowest setting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandma (who took care of me and my brother for three years when we were babies) just tied us in. No joke. There was a strap that went around the bottom of the crib and we got strapped down every night. Yeah, where was CPS then?

    P.S. I don't recommend it. The cost in therapy to overcome the repressed memories has been astronomical. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend uses a gate to keep her toddlers in their room. She has one that sleep walks. If you are consistent and keep returning him to his bed, he'll learn that it's bedtime and that there's nothing to do. Hopefully, he'll catch on sooner than later, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your son...my grandson....is AMAZINGLY smart! Good thing his parents are just as smart! I've had some Houdini children, but never as amazing as Luke....I look forward to more adventures ahead!
    Love, gramma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buy one of those plastic door handles that fits overtop the regular handle and put it on the inside of his door. If he gets out of bed, close his door. This freaked Will out so much (hysterical shrieking) that all he had to do was keep the plastic handle cover sitting on a table outside his door. So there's today's psychological torture tip from Brandon. This is why I win so many Father of the Year awards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man Cristin, I can't even relate, Leyna's not even pulling herself up yet, she can't even get into a sitting position from her tummy. :) It's all so funny to me that Luke is so ready to be everywhere and get into everything that he's this little crazed (but very cute) super active baby. I wish I had some pointers, but you're smart and have a college degree, so it sounds like you're already coming up with some good ideas! Hopefully whenever Leyna does decide to start using her limbs to get somewhere, I will know who to go to for all the child containment tips I need.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ella scared me like Luke scared you once. I was home alone at night, ironing, and all of a sudden she was in the laundry room with me. It took like ten minutes for my heart to stop racing. Her room was the complete opposite end of the house so I didn't hear the fall or the cry, just the little kid sneaking up on me. I immediately put the bed on it's lowest setting. She never escaped again. But Luke seems like this will be his new favorite past time. Ella is definitely not our most physical child, but I don't think Will even escaped from his crib once. Maybe I'd learned my lesson and always kept the crib on it's lowest setting... anticipating his escape.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you remember how hard the wymount floors were? Dominic climbed out and fell onto that floor....not that it stopped him from trying again. I honestly just put him in a day-bed as soon as he started crawling out and put one of those covers on the door handle. If he got out of his bed he wasn't able to get out of the room and would usually go back to his bed. The first few nights he stayed sleeping by the door on the floor.....and then there were the times where he would just stay at the door and scream at the top of his lungs under the 2 inch crack at the bottom.....I'm sure you remember those meetings at my house =+P

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails