4.16.2007

COME FLY WITH ME

Luke and I flew to Seattle on Thursday to visit my sister, Kelley. It was our first time flying together, so now I feel like a pro (yeah right)! But I did learn some valuable lessons:

1. DO BRING LOTS OF FOOD FOR YOU AND BABY. I arrived at the airport 2 and a half hours early. Then my flight was delayed 3 hours. Not only was I EXTREMELY tired from not having slept much the night before, but I barely had any food on me. Not a big deal if I was at LAX, but Burbank Airport is super tiny with only one real restaurant. Fortunately, I am still breastfeeding so no food for Luke wasn't a big deal, but what if I wasn't? I kept thinking about that my whole time there. What would I do if I was trapped at the airport with no formula?


When I found out about the delay, Alaska Airlines gave me a $6 gift certificate for the one restaurant at the airport. (Wow, $6 could buy me like a soda there!) When I went to redeem it, the hostess looked at Luke and I and said, "Table for 2?" Then they set up this "romantic" dinner table with a setting for Luke sitting right across from me in a highchair. How old did they think he was?? I laughed so hard that they set a place for him. I must of been delirious, because now it doesn't seem as funny as it was.

2. DON'T LOOK LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON (AT LEAST NOT ON PURPOSE). At one point during my super long airport experience, I couldn't take it anymore and I decided to leave the airport and just start walking... somewhere... anywhere. I made it all the way out of the Burbank Airport and was going to turn down a road toward a grocery store when I noticed that cars were slowing down to look at me to see if I was okay. Its okay to look like a bag lady at the airport, but on a normal street to push a stroller with a huge carseat attached to the back, not to mention various bags hanging off of it, and big winter coats stuffed in the side, looks weird and makes people worry about you. It was at this point that I decided to turn back towards the airport... back to my own "kind."

4. PREPARE TO HAVE ONE OF THE MOST EMBARRASSING EXPERIENCES OF YOUR LIFE! I thought had prepared myself for every single worse case scenario: Luke on my lap the whole time (luckily we had our own row so he got to sit in his car seat) or having to entertain him the entire flight (he slept 90% of the flight! Yipee!)... but nothing could have prepared me for the last 15 minutes of the flight! Right before we landed, he woke up and started screaming. And kept screaming until we got off the plane. It sounded like someone was stabbing him. I read somewhere to nurse a baby during takeoff and landing to alleviate the pressure to their ears, but he wanted nothing to do with me. He hit me when I tried to nurse him, threw a toy at least 4 aisles back, waved his sippy cup so hard that water actually started coming out everywhere. The guy in front of us even got up during the landing. That means that this guy was willing to risk his life by getting up as the plane was landing to get away from Luke the screaming baby.

3 comments:

  1. Haha, the bag lady image made me laugh. And yeah, Carson has flown across the entire country 7 times so far and I hate it every time. And we've had to keep him on our lap, which would be completely impossible with him crawling everywhere now. Not looking forward to the next time... I love that the guy got up during the landing. So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've now flown from Kansas to CA twice with two kids, by myself. Thank heavens my kids are older and will just stare at a dvd player for hours on end.

    Your post was hilarious, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love those special moments babies have at the perfect time? I think they have some sort of "time to embarass mommy" radar.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails