3.22.2007

HEY THERE, RODRIGO

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people sing the wrong lyrics to a song. A Danish classmate of mine in high school once sang "A Whole New Girl" instead of "A Whole New World" for an entire song, but that can be forgiven because it wasn't her first language. Then there is my wonderful husband who always sang "Hey There, Rodrigo," instead of "Hey Where Did We Go" for the beginning of Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl." I finally corrected him a few years ago, but he continues to do it because those kind of habits are hard to break and it is kind of funny.

I remember riding the bus to school in the 6th grade and listening over and over again to "Kokomo" by the Beach Boys on my Walkman. I recorded it off the radio and listened to it at least a 100 times until I had written all the lyrics down. In college, my roommate Megan and I got really into the Tommy Boy soundtrack and we listened to "Come On Eileen" a gazillion times to figure out the lyrics. (This is obviously before the internet exploded or we would have just looked the lyrics up online and saved ourselves a good 8 hours of time. ) We never could decipher "Come On Eileen." BUT, it just dawned on me today that after all those years of wondering, I could now just look it up!


Here's what we thought it was:

These people round here
Our suck dried stiff white stone dried face
In design to what their fighting
But hey never
so right on
So right on
So Right on
We are far too young and clever
Remember
Too rah loo rah yay
Eileen I need to hum this tune forever


Actual Lyrics:

These people round here wear beaten down eyes
Sunk in smoke dried faces
They're so resigned to what their fate is
But not us, no not us
We are far too young and clever
Go toora loora toora loo rye aye
Eileen, I'll sing this tune forever

So finally I can sleep at night. The mystery is solved! Thank goodness for the internet and people, please enunciate when you sing!



2 comments:

  1. You really crack me up. I am reminded of when I memorized the soundtrack to Green Day's Dookie album in Jr. High. I had the booklet with all the words and I was so cool because I knew them ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'll ever wear overalls again. Not like I was planning on it...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails